It’s 1st April, and you’d be the proverbial fool to miss out on the fantastic acoustic music events taking place across the region this month. In addition to Liverpool Acoustic’s gig with David Broad & Serious Sam Barrett, Christina Malley, SJ Downes, and Our Morals (see below) there are also gigs featuring a wealth of local and national talent from the likes of The Toy Hearts, Coope, Boyes and Simpson, Christy Moore, Laura Gibson, David Hirst (Misery Guts), Alex Berger, Sea of Bees, Greg Holden, Dennis Locorriere, Andy Irvine, Simon Fowler (Ocean Colour Scene), and Stacey Earle & Mark Stuart.
Don’t forget the Shanty UK Sea Shanty Festival from 6th to 8th April, and the Liverpool Big Song and Dance on Saturday 14th with Sisters Unlimited. This month also brings the first GIT Awards ceremony, with local folky favourites Stealing Sheep among the nominations. Check out the April Diary Selection Box below for more details and handy links to ticket outlets and facebook event pages.
And finally, to prove that we’re really got our finger on the pulse, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, this newsletter is being republished on 15th April in glorious 3D, with Dolby digital stereo surround sound. Bring your own lifebelt.
- David Broad & Serious Sam Barrett – UK Tour [Leeds]
- Christina Malley
- SJ Downes
- Our Morals
Here’s our latest list of movers and shakers on the Greater Merseyside acoustic music scene.
- The Attic is the new name for 3345 Parr Street, which has undergone a refurbishment and opened with new management. They’re planning lots of regular and one-off music events, and you can find them on their website theatticliverpool.com and on twitter @AtticLiverpool
- Open Mic with Some Other Guy replaces the Midnight Ramble with Matt Belcher every Thursday at Woodwards Wine Bar in Formby. Still free, still 9pm to 11.30pm.
You say goodbye…
- Open Mic at the Picturehouse on London Road has (not surprisingly) come to an end with the closure of the venue.
And I say hello…!
- The Orange Show is a new, weekly event taking place at The Brink, in conjunction with Liverpool Community Radio (LCR). Hosted by Dogstar Rose it features musicians, poets, comedians and more. It runs from 8.30pm to midnight and is free entry.
- Me and my Cousin play a mixed acoustic set every Friday night from 9.30pm to midnight at Woodwards Wine Bar in Formby – free entry as always.
- There’s a new Open Mic in Barcelona Bar every Sunday from 2pm to 8pm. Free entry and all are welcome.
- Wednesday 4th – The Toy Hearts @ Grateful Fred’s, Formby British Legion – making a welcome return after their triumphant show last September, this is sure to be a sell out. Support is from 17 year old Pip Mountjoy. Doors 7.45pm, and tickets £7.50 from here.
- Wednesday 4th – Perri and Neil album launch @ Studio 2, Parr Street. It’s been a long time coming, but the launch of ‘Then’ the new album by vocalist Perri Alleyne-Hughes and guitarist Neil Campbell has been well worth the wait. Joined by Paul Riley on bass and Colin Lamont on drums these four musicians effortlessly blend influences including jazz, fok, prog rock, classical music, and R ‘n B. Tickets are £8 which includes a copy of the album. Website is here, and facebook event here.
- Wednesday 4th – Coope, Boyes and Simpson @ The Brindley – stalwarts of the UK folk scene, Coope, Boyes and Simpson bring their their radical sound of English a cappella roots music to The Brindley. More details from thebrindley.org.uk
- Friday 6th to Sunday 8th – Shanty UK Sea Shanty Festival @ National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port. Entry only £6.50 for the whole weekend – details from shanty.org.uk
- Wednesday 11th – Laura Gibson @ Leaf – Oregon native Laura Gibson will be performing songs from her new album La Grande, with support from The Readymades and Geoghegan Jackson. Tickets £7 ticketweb – facebook event here.
- Friday 13th – Alex Berger, Ari Hest & Chrissi Poland @ Leaf. Being dubbed as the US & The Brit UK Tour Part III, Alex, Ali and Chrissi are firm friends from New York City’s dynamic singer/songwriter community. Doors 7.30pm, music 8pm, and tickets are £7 from here.
- Friday 13th – David Hirst @ The View Two Gallery – The lead singer of Misery Guts performs a solo acoustic show with support. Tickets £5 on the door and from skiddle, and the facebook event is here.
- Saturday 14th – Liverpool Big Song and Dance @ St Brides – Afternoon song and dance workshops, plus evening concert with Sisters Unlimited (Sandra Kerr, Janet Russell, Rosie Davis, & Peta Webb). Full details here, and tickets for workshops and concert here.
- Sunday 15th – Sea of Bees @ Leaf – with support from Stealing Sheep. £8.50 from ticketweb
- Thursday 19th – Greg Holden @ Eric’s – with support from Seamus Mcloughlin, Tibi & Her Cello, and Ogo. Tickets £7 from ticketmaster.
- Saturday 21st – Ian Prowse @ The Kazimier. On his first major tour in four years to coincide with the release of The Best of Ian Prowse. Sure to be a sell out. Tickets are £14 from here.
- Saturday 21st – Dennis Locorriere @ The Citadel, St Helens. The former Dr Hook front man is no stranger to Merseyside and always attracts a large crowd. Tickets for this can only be bought direct from the box office on 01744 735436 and aren’t available to buy online.
- Monday 23rd – Simon Fowler (Ocean Colour Scene) @ The Rodewald Suite, Liverpool Phil – This event was originally at the Static Gallery but has now moved. Tickets £15 from here - facebook event here.
- Wednesday 25th – Stacey Earle & Mark Stuart - Husband and Wife team Stacey and Mark from Tennessee are calling into Liverpool for an intimate house concert as part of their UK tour. Entry is by a donation of £5 or more, and you can bring your own drink. Obviously spaces are going to be limited, so if you’d like to attend email email@example.com
- Friday 27th – Liverpool Acoustic Live @ The View Two Gallery. David Broad and Serious Sam Barrett, with support from Christina Malley, SJ Downes, and Our Morals. Tickets £5, doors 8pm.
- Saturday 28th – Andy Irvine @ The Rodewald Suite, Liverpool Phil – with support from Alun Parry. Tickets £12 liverpoolphil.com
- Saturday 5th May – Liverpool Bands @ Anotherplace - Tony Dougherty’s series of free gigs continues with a distinctive acoustic flavour when the Waterloo venue welcomes Ratty Little Fingers, The Big I Am, Silent Cities, and Julian Riley. The facebook event is here.
- Thursday 31st May – Woody Guthrie Folk Club special @ The Rodewald Suite – celebrating Woody’s 100th birthday year. Lots of regulars singing the best of Guthrie’s songs, and a talk from very special guest, Woody Guthrie’s daughter Nora Guthrie. Tickets not out yet, but keep your eye on our twitter feed and facebook page for details when they’re released.
If you’re a local acoustic musician looking for gigs then don’t forget to check our facebook page on a regular basis as we often have promoters posting to say they have slots free or are booking for future events.
Liverpool Acoustic is now on Soundcloud. We haven’t got much sound to share with you in our cloud just yet, but it’s a really good way for local acoustic musicians to share their sounds with us. soundcloud.com/liverpoolacoustic
You can get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
on behalf of the Liverpool Acoustic Team